Family Music

This blog has probably been my favorite so far because me and my mom have such similar tastes in music. I mean most of what I listened to today was mentioned through these questions. So they were to read through this and understand what is being said, the words in bold are the questions & the unbold are her answers in her point of view. This was very fun to do!! And please enjoy <3


*HOW DID MUSIC IMPACT THE CULTURE AND SOCIETY AROUND YOU GROWING UP?

I didn’t know many different styles. I listened to whatever was on the radio stations. I played whatever music was given to me to play in band class.

*WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS THINK OF THE MUSIC YOU LISTENED TO AS KIDS?

They must have approved because we listened to music as a family, in the car, in the car and on the radio at my grandparents house. 

*Were YOU INVOLVED IN ANYTHING LIKE BAND OR CHOIR IN SCHOOL?

I played trombone in the band from 6th grade to 12th. I sang in the choir at church from the age of 12 to 42. I was also a part of the singing Christmas tree in Good Hope Baptist Church for many years as a soprano. We went to church every Sunday morning and night as well as Wednesday night when I was a child to the age of 12. My father was a preacher. 

*Did YOU PLAY AN INSTRUMENT OR TAKE LESSONS? WHAT WAS IT LIKE?

I played the trombone. I loved learning music; jazz music was my favorite concert band piece. I also loved classical music. It was very calming and peaceful.

*IF YOU WENT TO CHURCH, WHAT WAS THE MUSIC LIKE, AND HOW DID YOU FEEL ABOUT IT?

Yes, we went to church, the music was old christian music, talking about god saving us through his son jesus christ. It is the song and music I was brought up with by my grandparents, Cole and Christine Hurt.  Do you think living in the south had an impact on what music you listened to with us being known as the ‘bible belt?’

*WAS THERE ANY KIND OF STYLE OR GENRE OF MUSIC THAT WAS OFF- LIMITS WHEN YOU WERE KIDS?

No, not that I remember, I was allowed to listen to music that I wanted to. My family was big on letting me be expressive and how the music made me feel. 

*DID THEY PUSH YOU TO TAKE LESSONS OR PLAY AN INSTRUMENT?

No, I choose to play in the band. My family did wonder why the trombone. My mouth was the right embouchure for a bass instrument. My parents were supportive, I just had to play outside. The trombone was too loud inside and they got annoyed pretty quickly with it. 

*WHAT SORT OF TECHNOLOGY DID YOU LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC? HOW HAS THAT CHANGED OVER THE YEARS?

My grandparent had an 8 tract and an am/fm radio. Later years we got a boombox, it played cassettes. I love it!

*WHERE DID YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP? CAR/ ROOM/ RADIO

As kids my whole family went to granny and granddaddys to listen to music and watch granny do the charleston, we loved seeing her dance, it brought so much joy. I am 1 of 30 grandchildren but cousins to me, so music and dance was a way we could get together on Sundays at my dad's parents with all our family. We listened to Casey Cason on the way to church on sundays. We lived in Saluda, SC but had to drive to Gloverville Sc to the church that my dad preached at. 

*WHAT SORT OF MUSIC WAS POPULAR WHEN YOU WERE A GROWING UP? DID YOU LISTEN TO WHAT KIND OF MUSIC OR SOMETHING LESS MAINSTREAM?

At granny’s we listened to cassette tapes of Jerry Lee Clower/ we laughed and had a good family time together. We listened to country and maybe some classic rock and gospel chritian music.I really wasn’t alone much with a big family, if I was alone, I was studying for school or playing my trombone, to practice getting better for class.

*WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE GENRE OR ARTIST AT VARIOUS POINTS IN YOUR LIFE?

I have always loved The Eagles, Alabama, Fleetwood Mac, Hank Williams, Jazz and Classical Music, just depending on the mood and what I feel like to which I listen to.

*WERE YOU IN MUSICAL GROUP IN HIGH SCHOOL/ CHOIR/ BAND/ ORCHESTRA/ ETC.

I played in the band for many years 6th to 12th, we are playing almost every style of music over these years, I enjoyed learning different styles of music. I sang in the choir at my granny’s church from age 12-15.Then I moved in with one of my sisters and started singing in the choir at her church. Of which I became a member of Good Hope Baptist and later raised my kids in the church and singing in the children choir as they grew up.

*WHAT INSTRUMENT DO YOU WISH YOU KNEW HOW TO PLAY?

Piano - My mom, Pat Hurt, talked about playing for her father when she was in high school. 

Banjo - My father, Russel Hurt, played the banjo, at grannys and at church, he could play some beautiful bluegrass music for his mother, my Granny.

*DID YOU HEAR OF ANY DIFFERENT OR INTERESTING MUSIC WHEN YOU TRAVELED?

The only traveling I did was to the mountains with my grandparents, aunts and uncles one summer. We went to the mountain revivals and listened to bluegrass music, granny surely loved it. 

*ARE CASSETTE TAPES REALLY AS CRAPPY AS WE’RE TOLD THEY WERE? 

No, they were pretty good. As long as you didn’t leave them in a hot car and took care of them. I still have some from high school and they still play very well.  

*DID YOU HAVE A PIANO IN YOUR HOUSE? WHO PLAYED IT? 

We had an organ; my mother would play it sometimes for us and she played the piano at church some during children's church hour. 

*HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT MUSIC ON THE RADIO THESE DAYS?> 

I feel the words are much more graphic than in my day as a teenager.but country music also has some dark meanings behind them. My favorite song Hotel California is very nice and will always be my favorite. 

*DID YOU HAVE MUSIC CLASSES IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL? WHAT WERE THEY LIKE? YES, WE HAD Group class, we learned to sing different parts and sang as a class. I always had a high pitch voice; Soprano. 

*WHAT KIND OF MUSIC INFLUENCED YOU?

Kid, Gospel/Christian. Teenager, Country/Classic Rock. Now, our favorite now is any type of christmas music; it takes me to a happy place. Of simple wonderful memories of being a child and raising my kids. I love Christmas time and it makes me very happy during that time.  

*WHAT SONG HELPED YOU GET THROUGH A REALLY TOUGH TIME IN YOUR LIFE?

 Hotel California, The Eagles

*DO YOU REMEMBER ANY PARTICULAR MEMORABLE ADVERTISEMENT JINGLES FROM WHEN YOU WHERE A KID? 

Oscar Mayer Bologna; I loved to sing it because it was always so funny to me and my siblings. Yes, I come from a musical family. We played in the band at school and sang at church. I have 4 sisters and they all played in the band. Thersea played the flute. Michell and Jennifer played the clarinet. Mindy played the saxophone. I played the trombone as I already mentioned many times. My father played both the guitar and banjo. My mother played the piano and organ. While I played the trombone, I was in the Saluda Tiger marching band. We went to many competitions from my 7th grad year to 12th grade year. We competed in the state and won upper state and state champions many years. We had the privilege to compete at the national band competition in Daytona beach Florida but I can't remember if that was 9th or 10th grade.

Her music:

Hotel California - The Eagles

Oscar Mayer Bologna Song - 1975





Comments

  1. Kelly your mom sounds amazing and like she had an amazing time during her teenage years. I think it’s cool that her parents were so supporting in her expressing herself. I think band and choir Definity gives a better and more personal connection to music. I see where you get your free spirt from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's amazing that your mother's parents were so supportive of her music tastes, as I know not all parents are. I think your mom and my mom would get along musically, as they both played the trombone and love Alabama. Also being in both band and choir is pretty cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly, I found it interesting that your mother’s family listened to music together and encouraged your mother to be expressive in her music taste. I also thought it was interesting that she played the trombone throughout her school years and sang in choir at church. I related to her enjoyment of jazz and classical music as I too enjoy these genres and agree that classical music has a calming effect. Lastly, I admire how involved your family has been with playing different instruments during their school years, competitions, and church choirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This interview was so sweet! I love that you can connect with your mom through having similar tastes in music. I also love how your mom’s parents were supportive of her music taste and how she was expressing herself. I relate to her love of Jazz and Classical music too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts